4 Classic Pitfalls Small Business Owners Make OnlineJorge Guevara - Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Small businesses require a lot more than you might think - and they're beginning to demand more from their service providers too. Tech savvy, internet ready entrepreneurs are taking to the web with serious passion, tackling online marketing, ecommerce, blogging and more.
Unfortunately, for many brave entrepreneurs, that passion isn't enough.
A grand plan, fistfuls of commitments and 10 "30 day free trials" later, the spirited soon-to-be interweb warrior flounders, and fails. Here's some of the reasons that this can happen, and how to address them.
1. Trying too be too much like Amazon.A lack of focus on the task at hand kills momentum, and means you don't do anything properly.
So - take a breath! Start small and build out. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a successful online business.
2. Not really having a strategy.Don't build a website or even think about starting an online business until you've got a strategy for success. How are you going to grow? Where are your leads coming from? How do you follow up? Where do you want to be in 1 year?
Succeeding online requires hard work and a solid strategy.
3. Not equipping yourself with the right tools.Choose tools that suit your workflow, that help you get the job done and suit your strategy.
Just because some people might gush that Wordpress is the best blogging platform doesn't make it right for your needs, especially if you want to run email marketing, or also have an online shop. But then again, maybe it is right for your needs! I'm simply saying - evaluate everything against your own set of requirements, not on what's popular today, or the "industry standard".
4. Not being ready to learn a little.Sometimes people see an opportunity and they chase it - which is great - but they don't have the required skills yet. It's a little like "trying to run before you can walk."
Thankfully, running an online business is getting easier and easier every day. But that designer you hire now, the marketing consultant you're talking to - they won't be there forever. When they leave, you're on your own. Make sure you know enough to take it from there.
Finally - Just Do ItObviously there's a world of opportunity out there for small businesses and entrepreneurs, especially online. There are some pitfalls and mistakes to be made - but even mistakes can lead to greater success, if you learn from them!
- Entic Before and After
- ACM Capital Partners Before & After
- Stand Out and Be Heard!
- Health Clubs of America Gets A New Look!
- What makes a good logo?
- 4 Classic Pitfalls Small Business Owners Make Online
- Adobe Incontext Editing - now Beta on WebpanL
- Crock-Pot Ready Made Meals
- Kruisin Krome 2010 TV Spot
- 4 "C's" Every Online Business Needs To Care About